Wednesday, June 22, 2011

'Tears of Joy': Serena Williams wins 1st round at Wimbledon!

Have you ever been so happy that the first emotion you could muster up drove you to tears?  Serena Williams, after a year away from tennis because of injury then illness wins 1st round of Wimbeldon!

Serena Williams beat France’s Arvane Rezai 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 at Wimbledon Tuesday — then began to sob.




After serving her 13th ace to close the match, Williams buried her face in her towel and cried from her courtside chair. She was still crying as she walked off the court.


“I usually don’t cry, so I don’t understand it,” she said. “But it’s just been so hard … It’s been a disaster year. I didn’t expect to play; I didn’t expect to even do anything. This is, this is, just, I’m excited. I never cry with joy for anything.”


Through the years, we’ve seen Williams happy and mad, funny and sad, grumpy and, well, the point is, we’ve never seen her like this, so vulnerable. This is the side of Serena Williams that her fans and critics like to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment