Friday, May 27, 2011

Week of the Woman: 'Portrait' of Tenacity-Ester Dean




Some may know her, but most may not.  But if the name doesn't ring a bell right out the gate, you definitely know her work.  Ester Dean.  Ester Dean is a singer/songwriter behind such hits as 'Firework', by Katy Perry, 'SuperBass' by Nicki Minaj, 'S&M' by Rihanna, and her own hit single 'Drop it Low' which featured Chris Brown.  But up until 2009, Dean was relatively unknown in the music business.  But all that would soon change, and change for the better.

Ester Dean's vision changed when she experienced what she describes as her "oh, wow" moment. Dean saw the inspirational 2006 documentary "The Secret," which its creator Rhonda Byrne later turned into a best-selling book. The personal empowerment message of the film -- "everything is possible, nothing is impossible" -- resonated strongly with Dean.




"I'd put so many limits on how I believed things should work,".  I started taking away those limitations, took myself out of the box. Now I'm ready to wow the world."
Dean, who just three years ago was living on Section 8 housing vouchers, has started to do just that. The Muskogee, Okla., native was singing on demos and writing songs in Atlanta when she was introduced to Polow Da Don. He asked her to write a hook for Young Jeezy, and ended up signing her to his Zone 4/Interscope label in 2009. She also inked a publishing deal with producer Christopher "Tricky" Stewart's RedZone Publishing.


Fast-forward to 2011. Now based in Los Angeles, Dean has co-written four of the first quarter's top 100 airplay songs: Katy Perry's "Firework" (No. 2); Rihanna's "What's My Name," featuring Drake (No. 4), and "S&M" (No. 27); and Lloyd's "Lay It Down" (No. 94). Those join a growing list of writing credits that includes T.I.'s "Remember Me," featuring Mary J. Blige; Blige's "I Am"; Rihanna's "Rude Boy"; and "Let Me Take You to Rio" for the soundtrack to the animated feature "Rio." Dean also co-wrote three tracks on the 2009 album "Graffiti" by Chris Brown, who returned the writing favor by guesting on Dean's own single that year, "Drop It Low" -- the first release under the deal she signed with Zone 4/Interscope. The track peaked at No. 38 on the Billboard Hot 100.



When did you start writing and singing?


When I was in the third grade; I wouldn't pay attention in school at all. I did love English because they let you tell stories. I used to have these big-ass notebooks in which I'd write down all my thoughts. But in school, I was just the girl who sang all over the place, trying to see who wanted to make a group.

How did "S&M" come about?



I wrote it, Father forgive me, on a Sunday. The track was already there. The first thing that came to me was "Come on, come on." I'm thinking, "I don't know what in the hell this is about to be." And I remembered I'd seen something that said, "Sticks and stones may break my bones." Then came "But chains and whips excite me." And I'm like, "Oh, my God, I got to write that." I'm in the studio with the engineer and just kept looking at him, asking, "Is that OK?" And he says, "I like it." When people have a great track that speaks to me, it feels like it already has a story in it.

What's your take on the current state of R&B and hip-hop?
People need to stop putting a limit on what it is and what it isn't. It's what you put into it. However, people keep putting limitations on themselves and creating this reality that soul music is dead. That's only in their reality. It's not true. To me, Adele is R&B. Bruno Mars is R&B. It's just good songwriting and songs. That is going to last. That's what I've got to work on my damn self‹what's going to last.

Ester Dean is truly a 'portrait' of tenacity.  She proves that if you keep trying, and keep honing your craft, doors will begin to fly off the hinges for you.  When she was able to break the limits that she admitted she set on herself, she was able to fly, soar to heights she never knew she could reach.  I applaud a strong woman who has the gusto to go after she wants in a male-driven industry.  Hats off to Ester Dean.  We will continue to hear great music this woman pens and hopefully we will see her step out on her own with her project and make the world stop and stare again.


Until then, let's go back just a bit to Ester's 1st single:

'Drop it Low' feat. Chris Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment