Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Double Vision or Copyright Infringement? When music logos and brand logos collide!!

They say there is no TRUE original idea in existence.  Any, and everything can be derived from something else.  When it comes down to original ideas, original song titles, original movie concepts, etc.  Even when it comes down to brand LOGOS.  I've been looking around the music industry, and an uncanny trend seems to be emerging more and more.  Music groups are seeming to pattern their logos after already successful logos in existence.  I just pulled 3 off the top of my head.  I was watching 106 & Park recently and Romeo and his kid sister Cymphonique were dropping off new videos.


  I kept looking at Romeo's t-shirt and the logo stuck out to me.  I asked myself, "Where have you seen that before?"  Then it dawned on me that maybe Romeo was a spokesperson for Louis Vuitton now?  I mean he has garnered a re-emergence of fame since DWTS and his roles in successful movies.  But that was not it.  I  researched and found that 'No Limit Forever' the record label, which is now run by Romeo has a similar logo to Louis Vuitton!  Clever.  Associating your label logo with an already recognizable and established logo.  It's almost like playing tricks on the human eye.






Looking at the logos side by side and you see very little difference in the two!  Uncanny, isn't it.  Is this too close to the LV logo to cause some type of copyright infringement suit?  I wonder?  Take the LV logo and one clever stroke from the artist and voila, you have the No Limit Forever logo. 


new-york-yankees-logo.jpg
Again, two strokes and one erasure and the NY Yankees log easily is transformed into the Young Money logo.  Seems Wayne and company made their logo more known than the fitted cap that bares the original. LOL.






And finally, Rick Ross' Maybach Music Group label on the left, Maybach the CONGLOMERATE on the right.  Just add a 'G' at the bottom and presto-chango, you have Rozay's label!

Coincidence?  Maybe not.  Its uber-clever to trick the eye to associate with an image they already know to be popular or recognizable.  I am not trying to start anything, just my observation of things.  I wonder if these multi million dollar companies and franchises know how closely their images have been 'transfromed' into other mega dollar ventures?  Something to think about?  Is there any ORIGINALITY anymore?  These images beg the answer to that question.  I'm just saying....

ZAM ZHINGA reporting... what do you guys think?

Have you seen any others like this?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment